Vacation Bible School
Matthew 19:14 “Let the children come to me, and do not hinder them; for to such belongs the kingdom of heaven.”
2020 Vacation Bible School
Vacation Bible School will be Monday through Thursday, June 29, 2020 through July 2, 2020, 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM. We will not be in session that Friday with the 4th of July Holiday. The Diocese of Owensboro Food Services will be providing a meal each day around 10:30 AM. We will have a closing Mass on Thursday at noon, where the children can sing some of the songs they learned the week of VBS.
Recent VBS Programs
Here is a list of some of the VBS programs we have used in the past:
- Liturgical Year - A Blessed Mother Catholic Church inspired program, with Kids and the Church Year video. (2019)
- Sacraments - A Blessed Mother Catholic Church inspired program, with video lesson from Brother Francis. (2018)
- Earthkeepers - Adventures for Creation Care Kids (2017)
- "Birthday Blast: A Celebration of Life". (2016)
- Cathletics: Training to Be Champions for Christ (2015)
- Parade Around the Our Father Catholic Kidz Camp (2014)
- The Vatican Express Catholic Kidz Camp (2013)
- A Radical Ride on the Wings of Prayer: With Amazing Angels and Super Saints (2012)
- A Wilderness Adventure Through the Sacraments: Jesus in My Heart (2011)
- Cool Kingdom Party: Mary Leads Me Closer to Jesus (2010)
- Marvelous Mystery: The Mass Comes Alive (2009)
History of VBS
Vacation Bible School (“VBS”) is typically a week-long program offered during the summer to teach children about their faith in a fun and engaging way. Of course, there is a teaching component, but music, crafts, and games are almost always involved as well. It started out as a Protestant phenomenon, but Catholic churches soon realized that they too could utilize this format to teach children more about Christ and his Church. For more information about the history of Vacation Bible School, see the article, "The History of Vacation Bible School".
Today, there are a wide variety of VBS programs for churches to choose from, but not all of them are Catholic. In fact, the majority of them are not. Even the ones that are often labeled “Catholic” are simply Protestant programs with a few Catechism references thrown in. There’s nothing necessarily wrong with this. A child can learn a lot from a Protestant VBS program and many Catholic parents send their children to local Protestant churches to participate in their programs. But, here at Blessed Mother, we prefer to use programs that have a distinctly Catholic message and theme. Our parishioners seem to appreciate this a great deal.
The cost is $5 for one child, $10 for two children, and $25 per family. To help in the planning process or volunteer as a catechist or assistant, please contact Norm Hayden. When completing these forms, PLEASE COMPLETE BOTH SIDES of the form. And, when requested, please sign both front and back of the form and have a witness to your signature. Feel free to sign them in the office and staff will witness your signature.
Vacation Bible School Registration/ Consent Form
VBS forms may also be found in the office.